As a musician, for the longest time I was a "bedroom guitar player." I locked myself in my room and played for hours and hours until my hands started to hurt. Eventually I felt like there was something missing. I needed someone else to share the music with. It's hard trying to express yourself in such a way in which nobody can hear your message. That is the whole point of artistic expression, to share your vision with the world. I started a band and now I am in the process of producing my own record. Music is so much more than a self-stimulation and pleasure. It is a community. There is something very intimate about live music that makes people keep coming back for shows. It is a very mutual experience. The artist expresses himself through his music for his fans and the fans feed off of the artist's energy and give back. The experience of live music is very personal and it creates a bond deeper than the aesthetic pleasure of the actual listening. There is nothing better than being on stage and hearing people cheer you on. It is also very special sitting with 10,000 other people who are in attendance for the very same reason you are and that you all share this common bond through the music.
Last night in particular was very special to me because I can play almost all of John's songs and I understand every bit of what he does musically to produce his sound. I have a deeper connection than those who enjoy listening. His music and lyrics hold a special place in my heart more than any other musician. You can certainly hear his influence in my own music. After putting on half of his incredible show he then reached out to the crowd and told us "One of you will take my place up here in 10 years." I raised my fist up in the air and said, "I will."
Dan
No comments:
Post a Comment