Tuesday, April 6, 2010

M.U.S.I.C.


All this talk about music... but what is it?!?
Seems like a pretty easy question right? Yea, that is until you have to answer it.

American Heritage® Dictionary tell us this

NOUN:
  1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
  2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
    1. A musical composition.
    2. The written or printed score for such a composition.
    3. Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
  3. A musical accompaniment.
  4. A particular category or kind of music.
  5. An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.
But uh... this doesn't tell me much...

Wikipedia tells us that music is an "art form whose medium is sound"

When I google it pages like "Yahoo! Music" and "Pandora" come up. All great websites, but I'm still confused, and I can only assume so are you...

Google Images shows me this




Studies and an Article in TIME MAGAZINE tell us that music is connected to the cerebral cortex. And if you didn't know what that is, it the important part of your brain where all higher functioning and cognition occur. Memory, language, thinking and consciousness are all connected to the cerebral cortex.

Music

What is music?
I think that to each individual this definition holds its own.

What is music to me?
Music is what makes my heart smile. Its what I listen to when I need to get out of a mood, or stay in it. Its what I listen to when I'm happy and what I am sad. It is what I tried to make when I took piano lessons for 10 years. Music is everything and nothing all the same. My music may be your noise and your music may sound terrible to me, BUT! its all music

So tell me... what's you're definition?

No comments:

Post a Comment