Today I have made the conscious decision to try to go about my day without intentional listening to music.
Here's a look at my day! - 04/20/10
8:00am - The alarm on my phone wake me it. Its music... Opps! I forgot to switch it.. Off to a bad start.
8:15am - When I woke up my television was on. It was ironically on the music channel VH1. A Unfortunately a Brittney Spears video was on. Sorry, I'm not her biggest fan. I turned the t.v. off as soon as I noticed.
8:40am - I get on the bus.. no music! =]
10:30am - I go to a class in which we are doing group presentations. One group uses the Precious" trailer apart of their presentation. There was music in the background.
11:15am - I was walking around campus and encountered a friend of mine. He had headphones on which he simply took off in order to talk to me. I hadn't noticed or heard, for that matter, the music still playing through his headphones. I only noticed it when I went to hug him goodbye. And then I heard it... LOUD AND CLEAR. It was Spanish music; bachata, I believe. I like Spanish music =]
12:50pm - I was eating a bagel when suddenly a thought of my Godson came into my mind. My Godson loves the nursery song "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and sings it all the time. As soon as I thought of him, I thought of that song, and began to unconsciously sing it aloud. I only stopped when the person I was with asked me why was I singing. Embarrassing. It took me about five minutes to get it out of my head. Even now, just writing it, I can hear the song in my head.
The day is practically half over and I can not seem to stay away from music =[
2:30pm - I went to CVS to get a couple of things. There was music playing. The article that I previously posted about discussed companies using music to regulate the customer's mood. Okay so fine, my mood got regulated... but did it effect me? Did I purchase more than I would have without hearing the music?.. I wonder..
4:00pm - MAJOR FAILURE! So I was looking at pictures from my recent trip to the Dominican Republic and I got in the mood to listen to some of the songs I discovered and fell in love with while down there. Four songs later I snapped back into reality and realized what I had done... SORRY GUYS!... This "not listening to music" thing is way harder than I initially thought =[
6:00pm - I had to watch a movie for my Latin American in the World history class. It was a really good, interesting, and informative movie, BUT... there was some background music playing.
8:00pm - I was studying and trying to do some reading in one of the residential hall's lounges. I tried to sit in the most remote corner of the room. A couple of minutes someone came and sat a couple of seat away from me. Unfortunately for me he was listening to his music on the loudest possible level, thus causing me to once again hear music on my "no music" day AND distracting from reading chapter 3 in my history book =[
10:00pm - A friend of mine decided to give me a car-ride back to my dorm room. I got into the car and immediately heard music. I would have asked him to turn it off, but I liked the song. =/ ekk!
12:00am - Time to sleep. Usually I fall asleep to music, but tonight my roommate's slightly loud snoring will be my lullaby. GoodNight!
OKAY! This was wayyyyyyyy harder than I thought. Music plays such a big part in our daily lives that even if we try to avoid it, it follow us... everywhere.we.go! Sometimes, I admit, it was my fault, but most of the time i was just placed in a situation in which I could not help but hear the music.
A Day Without Music = IMPOSSIBLE
No comments:
Post a Comment