Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Did You Know?

Two facts about two famous and prestigious individuals:

Dear World,

- Music helped Thomas Jefferson write the Declaration of Independence; he would play his violin to help him get over writers block.

1778. "If there is a gratification which I envy any people in this world it is to your country [Italy] its music. This is the favorite passion of my soul, and fortune has cast my lot in a country where it is in a state of deplorable barbarism . . . . The bounds of an American fortune will not admit the indulgence of a domestic band of musicians. Yet I have thought that a passion for music might be reconciled with that oeconomy which we are obliged to observe . . . . In a country where, like yours, music is cultivated and practised by every class of men I suppose there might be found persons of those trades [gardener, weaver, cabinetmaker, stonecutter] who could perform on the French horn, clarinet, or hautboy and bassoon, so that one might have a band of two French horns, two clarinets, and hautboys and a bassoon, without enlarging their domest[ic] expenses." Asks Fabbroni's aid in procuring such a band of musical artisans. (TJ to Giovanni Fabbroni, 8 June, B.2.196)


1790. "Do not neglect your music. It will be a companion which will sweeten many hours of life to you." (TJ to Martha, 4 April, FAM51)


- Albert Einstein even states the reason he became smart was because of he played the violin. After numerous teachers and people told Einstein and his parents that he was too stupid to learn, his parents bought him a violin. He used his violin to improvise in order to solve problems and equations.

“Life without playing music is inconceivable

for me,” he declared. “I live my

daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of

music…I get most joy in life out of music"



(Here is an article I found about Einstein and his love for music: http://www.pha.jhu.edu/einstein/stuff/einstein&music.pdf)

"WE LOVE MUSIC!!"


Sincerely,

Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein



No comments:

Post a Comment